Niche Site Challenge – Day 1
Well, we are here! This is day 1 of the rest of my life! Well, not quite, but we shall see 🙂
So, to start this Niche Site Challenge, I need…. a niche!
I want to create a site that is more of an informational site, rather than a product review site as I have done them to death already. To begin, I created a list of ideas for niches and split them down into 3 areas. “Likes”, “Wants” and “Pains”. These should give me a few possibilities for finding a niche as they will all be relevant to me a little. Many gurus tell you to “look around you” to see objects that might lead you to a new niche. This does work, but creating a list as I have done, makes the whole experience slightly more personal.
So here is the list I have come up with:
- Playing Guitar
- Cats and Kittens (recently got 2 cats)
- Digital Art (created my my iPad)
- Self Improvement (how can you improve on perfection?)
- Depression (I have suffered from this for many years)
- Time Management
- Foot and Heel Pain (I get this terribly)
- Cleaning the house (where can I find the time for this too?)
- Paying the bills (money can be tight sometimes)
- Paint the house (gosh… I need to do this desperately)
- IBS (I also potentially suffer from this affliction – never been proven though)
- Writing (I would love to write a short story/novel at some point)
- Money (who doesn’t want more?)
- Retirement (hopefully when I will achieve stuff!)
- Relaxation (yoga/meditation? I would like to have time to relax properly)
- Holidays (I would love to take more holidays)
So, the next step is for me to perform some keyword research using Market Samurai and see if I can find some possible niches.
At first glance, I can see that many of my items are too generic. “Money” is most likely a no-no due to the fact that there will be too much competition already. I like the look of the “Pains” list more, as the visitors will be hungry for information and I can offer some sort of eBook to help them, or get them on a list.
It’s funny really. Looking at the “Likes” list does lead me to more ideas of possible sites, such as a “WordPress PHP Script” type site, where I post small “mini-plugins” to help do things – but it’s just the time and effort that seems to be the stumbling block. The “Likes” list seems much more of a bigger task, where as creating a site about a subject you don’t know so well, might be easier.
Anyway, on to the keyword research with good old Market Samurai. I will post a video if possible, showing my choice and reasoning, but not before I have to spend some time researching my niche.